If you found out about this page from a banknote, please leave a comment saying where you got the note and what you were buying.
To celebrate the milestone of reaching Idea #10, I’ve had a team of global allies in this enemyless war of ideas advertise the post on banknotes with the denomination of 10:
(We’re still awaiting a picture of the US offering, although it may already be in circulation around San Francisco.)
I got inspiration for this idea – to advertise on money – from the highly recommendable book 365 Ways to Change the World by Michael Norton (as featured on the Ideas Exist Bookshelf). There, the idea proposed is to write a provocative fact on the banknote in order to promote a social cause. Ok, so I’ve made the idea a little more self-serving, but I want to investigate how effective advertising on banknotes really is, by directing recipients of the money to this page.
Anyway, just so I’m doing my bit to change the world, here are the suggestions for messages from the book plus links to relevant sites:
- 842 million people across the world will go to bed hungry tonight.
- Guns kill 34,000 Americans every year.
- Wear a condom. Today 14,000 people will become infected with HIV/AIDS.
- One in five women experience rape or attempted rape in their lifetime. [Makes this anti-rape jacket look like a good investment.]
- Perform a random act of kindness today.
- Give this money to someone who really needs it.
- Make amends to someone. Say sorry.
- Spread a little happiness. Smile at a stranger.
Given the amount of hands money passes through, using it was a way to advertise websites could be quite effective. Let’s just hope the people who daily spam this website don’t catch on or we’ll be forever dealing in notes covered in adverts for Russian Xanax. Ah well, the end of money is nigh, anyway.
If you want to take part in this experiment, just send me a pic of a note like those above and I’ll put it on the site with a link to you.
Remember! If you got this address off a banknote, please leave a comment to let us know you were here! Let’s try to track where they go. I’ll put a map up if we get enough people. A map!